So we’re this far into the school year, and many years for me, this was about the time my classroom management started slipping. Kids are getting a little more wired, and I need a boost.
First off, it’s probably time to review the classroom guidelines one more time and ask them for feedback if the consequences are fair and working. Then crack down on those for a few weeks till those are back in line.
You’ve gotta get out of your classroom and have some fun with them! Don’t worry, this is not a waste of time. These times are super valuable investments in your classroom management.
- Go play basketball or soccer with them.
- Eat with them for fun.
- Join in the karaoke at the lunch area, and if there isn’t karaoke, get your student leaders to set it up.
- Or get teachers to set it up and all of you do a song.
- Jump into the spirit competitions where you catch food off your forehead or pie eating contests.
- Take a chair outside and grade your papers. Just to look weird … And get out of your classroom into the sun.
- Plan a teacher flash mob dance performance at nutrition break or lunchtime.
- Take a role in the student play. Especially if there’s a singing part.
- Change into some exercise clothes and join them on the track during P.E. class.
Conversation of the Day: What can you do this month to earn some street cred with your students?
Hop on over to watch the video and share your thoughts in the conversation.