24 Tips for New Teachers that Other Teachers Might Not Tell You

http://createdforlearning.blogspot.com/2015/07/24-tips-for-new-teachers-that-other.html
  1. It is okay to plan assignments that you aren't going to grade.
  2. Be nice to your custodians. They deal with enough crap already. And vomit.
  3. Set firm boundaries between home life and work life, even if other teachers tell you it's impossible.
  4. Use some of your sick days. Use them for rest. Use them to develop yourself. Use them to travel.
  5. Fight the urge to gossip about students or teachers. It feeds negativity in your soul. It also lets teachers know that you're the kind of person who would gossip about them.
  6. It is okay to give students full credit for trying so you don't have to grade every question right or wrong.
  7. Keep a big hat in your classroom for field trips, supervision, & emergency drills.
  8. Keep a beach chair in your room. Take it outside to eat lunch or grade papers. Just get yourself outside.
  9. Trade your sit-down desk for a stand-up desk. You'll be way less likely to die of a heart attack, and after the first two weeks, you'll have more energy throughout the day.
  10. Empower students to do classroom jobs.
  11. Let students prove you wrong. Then admit you were wrong. You will earn their respect and get them paying attention because who doesn't like proving the teacher wrong?
  12. Laugh. A lot.
  13. Try try try to not take papers home. It's possible. I did it for 6 years. You can too. If you put your foot down and make some changes.
  14. Call home when "bad kids" do well.
  15. When you don't know an answer, admit it. Then empower your students to find the answer you don't know so they can teach you. Your students will grow to trust you when you say you DO know.
  16. Leave your classroom once or twice before Thanksgiving to do something unexpected on campus so the kids will see. Go play with all of them at recess. Join the middle school basketball game. Set up a Thriller flash mob for Halloween. Something that you can do splendidly. You'd be surprised how this show of your realness and coolness will help classroom management.
  17. Boys want respect. Girls want love. Give them the unconditional love or respect they need and your life gets way easier.
  18. Male teachers: Defend all the girls from sexist or degrading comments, thoughts, or actions.
  19. Female teachers: Defend all the boys from male-bashing comments, thoughts, or actions.
  20. All teachers: Ban phrases used as insults like "you're so retarded" or "stop being so gay" or any other such language from your classroom that minimize a group of students.
  21. Don't yell in anger. Ever.
  22. Ask dumb questions. They aren't dumb.
  23. Show lots of love for the office secretaries. Lots. Thank them. Lots. You'll be glad you do.
  24. Next year, don't forget you were once a new teacher. Help the newbies.
NOTE: The Paper Airplane image in the header logo is used with permission by Paurian.




 FREE Universal Book Report Teaching Resource ... sign up for our Email Newsletter! Graphic organizers and analysis activities for any novel. Perfect for reading groups or literature circles! Get it Now! >>> http://eepurl.com/bGNTgX #litcircles #readinggroups #readingcircles #bookreports

22 comments:

  1. Great advice (wisdom) for all teachers - new and veteran. Thank you for sharing!
    Peggy @ Primary Flourish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Peggy! We veteran teachers are always learning too, right?! :)

      Delete
  2. Amazing! I wish I had read this list before I started teaching. I will be pinning this immediately :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd had this list when I started teaching too! :) Alas, there was no Internet network of teaching awesomeness when I started teaching.

      Delete
  3. I really love this post. It's full of meaningful tips which are great reminders for veteran teachers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're stoked you're loving it! Glad the reminders will be helpful to make your teaching life more fulfilling too.

      Delete
  4. I'm not a new teacher, but I needed to hear each one of those words... Thanks for such a thoughtful post :)
    Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Adriana! Hope things get started off even better for you this year! :)

      Delete
  5. Nicely Done! You are a teacher, that's for sure. I love the "Don't Gossip..." so true. Thank you for these important reminders as we start our year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gossip one is tough, yeah? I have certainly noticed that the teachers who gossip to me will gossip about anyone. I just assume that they're also gossipping about me to others, so I am less open with them about anything. It's an easy telegraphing of trust.

      Delete
  6. Wow--what a great list! I totally agree with you and wish more teachers would take your advice to heart. I avoid the teacher's lounge at lunchtime because it seems to be a hotbed of negativity and I find myself caught in it. Will definitely be saving this list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're finding some heart in this list. I've found these to be my sanity lifeblood. :)

      Delete
  7. Love this... May I have permission to read it on my podcast One Teaching Tip. I think my audience would love it. BTW, I love the one about the lawn chair. Never thought of it before. Doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Art. Enjoy the chair! :) The kids got a kick out of me sitting out in the sun. Lots of them thought it made a lot of sense. And so many teachers were like, "Now that's that way to do it!" Then they'd never bring their own chair. I say, just do it!

      Delete
  8. great advice for all teachers, thanks for sharing it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the advice Jonathan! Where were you three years ago???? From my recent past experience, I'd like to add "Don't hesitate to ask for help. You will know very quickly who are the people you can lean on" Sharing it and pinning it too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Some people are there for you when you need it, aren't they. Good stuff! Three years ago, I was ... man, that was a long time ago. :) Glad we're connecting up now and joining conversations. Keep on being awesome!

      Delete
  10. I'm entering my 19th year of teaching, and the reminders in this list are still ones I need to hear! Thank you. :)
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
  11. All great advice! I'm in my 2nd year and I still have to remind myself to do these things. The only thing I think is silly on this list is getting a stand up desk. No thank you! I'm a high school teacher and I already stand up enough during the day. I greatly welcome ANY chance to sit down. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let's make it 25: Love your Librarian. It's amazing how much they can help you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, I start my second teaching placement, I am in training, and this is pure Gold :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello Everyone,

We'd love to hear from you, so let us know what you're thinking!

Created for Learning

Pin It button on image hover